A Chronology of Rothbury
From the last Ice Age to the end of the 20th Century
|12,000 BC||• End of last Ice Age|
|10,000 BC||• First Humans arrive in the North East|
|5,000 BC||• Start of peat formation on Simonside|
|500 BC||• 11 Iron Age forts built in Rothbury|
|300 BC||• Main Hill Fort construction period. The largest in Coquetdale is Old Rothbury|
|850||• Possible date of the Anglican Cross now in All Saints Church|
|1090||• First mention of Rothbury in records: Henry I grants the manor to Tynemouth Priory|
|1107||• Henry I grants Rothbury Church to his chaplain Richard D'Orival.
• First mention of a Rector in Rothbury
|1165||• Lord of Rothbury is Roger Fitz Richard, Baron Warkworth|
|1201||• King John signs Rothbury Town Charter|
|1205||• King John visits Rothbury|
|1256||• Mention of the Lords prison at Rothbury
• People of Rothbury fined for the escape of Robert de Craylinge
|1265||• First mention in records of a castle in Rothbury|
|1274||• First mention of a gallows at Rothbury|
|1275||• Edward I ratifies truce with the Scots and dispatches it from Rothbury|
|1283||• James of Spain made Rector of Rothbury by Edward I|
|1291||• King Edward visits Rothbury again
• Robert Fitz Roger secures a charter from King Edward I for a weekly market in Rothbury on Thursdays and a yearly fair for 3 days on St Matthew's Day
|1331||• Edward III gives a number of manors including Rothbury to Percy for services rendered|
|1361||• Pope arranges for John of Appleby to be Rector of Rothbury|
|1461||• Rothbury bridge built
• Rothbury Castle built by Sir Robert Ogle
|1715||• The Earl of Derwentwater stayed at the Three Half Moons Inn on the way to defeat in the uprising|
|1730||• First notice of a parish beadle in the Churchwardens accounts at the Easter meeting|
|1738||• A Fire broke out in the shop of Richard Pyle, a blacksmith, at Rothbury. The fire also destroyed the house of John Selby, and those of James Hood George Potts, and Robert Douglas. The fire was apparently started accidentally by Edward Pyle.|
|1740||• Public clock placed in the tower of Rothbury Parish Church. There is no record of how or where the funds came for this clock.|
|1750||• 6th Jun: Marriage between Tosson farmer, William Donkin, and Eleanor Shotton was a major affair, with 550 guests.|
|1765||• First mention of Pondicherry on map of Northumberland|
|1769||• Pondicherry marked on Andrew Armstrong's county map
• "Two men came to the sign of the WHALE in Rothbury and one feigning illness borrowed a grey Galloway and a coat from the landlord. He has not been seen since and the horse he left was not worth 2/-"
|1778||• William Potts, died near at Lanternside near Rothbury aged 107|
|1782||• John Wesley preached - 17th June Alnwick - 16th June Rothbury & Saugh House 12 miles from Rothbury|
|1788||• George Farquar presented a fire engine to the town of Rothbury "under the care and control of the Rector and Churchwardens for the time being, of the same parish, for ever".|
|1789||• Rothbury Hotel opened as a private hotel at the west end of the village catering to the large number of visitors to the area.|
|1792||• The Golden Fleece pub built (now The Queens Head)|
|1808||• David & Rachel Maxwell enter upon the Half Moon Inn, Rothbury|
|1816||• Rothbury Ecclesiastical Personal Census. Emphasis on the number of people, Prayer books and bibles in the house. eg. Comments such as "They are Presbyterians, dirty and have one bible" or "They are a good sort of people but Presbyterian" abound|
|1818||• Last mention of old Church clock in accounts
• Walter Mavin, the well-known angler, who was born in 1815, tells David D Dixon that he cannot remember the Church Clock ever going during his lifetime, and that as far back as he can recollect the works were all red rust
|1820||• Inn Keepers in Rothbury:
|1822||• Rectory and Church are partly re-built|
|1827||• The old Market Cross is pulled down and cleared|
|1830||• Tibby Allan, widow of Jeremy Allan the celebrated Northumbrian piper died at Rothbry aged 109 years|
|1832||• Croft House built|
|1833||• John Wilson of Rimside Pit House jailed in Morpeth for the possession of "three quarts of ellicit (sic) spirit"|
|1835||• Robert Donkin caught eighteen dozen fine trout with a single hook.
• At a public dinner held at Rothbury, a silver cup was presented to Mr. Robert Spearman, of Warton, in admiration of his eminent skill as a grazier, particularly for his superior judgment in selecting and fattening the celebrated pure West Highland kyloe ox Warton.' " The ox referred to was slaughtered on March 6th, 1835 ; the weight of the four quarters was 152st. 91b., and the gross weight 200st. 61b. 9: (Sykes)
|1836||• Illicit Still on Wolfersheil Hill under Ravenscleugh discovered by Morpeth excisemen|
|1837||• Glendale House built
• The accession of Queen Victoria - Golden Fleece becomes Queen's Head
|1838||• Illicit still discovered at Codley Moss on the Tosson hills. Only one man (an Irishman) present who was committed to Morpeth gaol|
|1840||• The Congregational Church next to Steward House opens
• May 7th - Illicit Still discovered near Tosson. 100 gals of spirit produced in 1 week. (Sykes)
|1841||• Boys' School & Master's House built by the bridge on site of the Vicar's Garden. Later becomes W. G. Mackay, plumber
• W.G Armstrong catches 4lb 7 oz Trout.
|1842||• On 9th March 1843, George Hindhaugh killed William Weatherston on Garleigh Road, shortly after they left the Black Bull. Hindhaugh was later tried for murder. Although the jury found him guilty of killing Weatherston they added a recommendation "to mercy" and the judge sentenced him to 7 years deportation to Australia. After over a year in Pentonville, learning to be a cobbler, Hindhaugh was taken to Australia, from whence he never returned.|
|1850||• Church nave, transept and tower taken down and re-built at a cost of £3000, architect Salvin. Door lintel with Thomas Eansley 1611 carved on it is taken from belfry doorway and put in flower vestry. Churchyard wall re-built.
• New clock installed by Messrs. Potts. Duke of Northumberland contributed £800 (Sykes)
• Public Library established in Rothbury by Rev. Charles Vernon Harcourt
|1856||• Whitton Terrace built|
|1857||• Rothbury Fire Engine called out to the farm of Mr James Howey at West Hepple. Fire caused by some children igniting a sack of straw with Lucifer matches|
|1858||• The Rector plants trees on the green to beautify the village
• Start of restoration of Brinkburn Priory
|1860||• Wright and Martha Worsnop and family move to Rothbury and open a photography business on Bridge Street|
|1861||• Testimonial to William Davy, Secretary to Rothbury Floral Society. Meeting adjourned to 3 Half Moons for supper|
|1862||• William Dixon and Sons drapers set up in Coquetdale House (Co-op/Vale Milk Bar) Rothbury. Later becomes Dixon Bros.
• Last Beadle (Robert Hay) dies and position never filled.
|1863||• Lord Armstrong buys his first plot of 20 acres at Rothbury.|
|1864||• William Murray listed as clockmaker.
• New library built by voluntary subscription at the North end of Dovecote Yard. Parish fire engine and hearse kept on ground floor.
• W. G. Armstrong starts building a modest house 'Cragside'. William Burn, quarryman crushed to death during excavations.
|1866||• The first Cragside House completed.|
|1867||• Shrove Tuesday football match between Thropton and Rothbury, at Debdon is discontinued|
|1869||• Rothbury Hall/Castle demolished to make a new graveyard.
• Lloyd's Bank opens (Formerly Hodgkin, Barnett, Pease, Spence and Co).
• Richard Norman Shaw, architect, starts to transform Cragside into a grand residence.
|1870||• First train to Rothbury on Northumberland Central Railway.
• Old Church graveyard levelled and sown with grass.
• Rev. Charles Vernon Harcourt, rector of Rothbury died at Carlisle age 73.
|1871||• Likely date of the iron bridge at Cragside.
• Start of Donkin and Son's mart. Robert Donkin is aged about 40.
• Gasworks planned for Meldon Haugh.
• Opening of Alnwick and County Bank, later taken over by NE Banking Co. in 1875 followed by Bank of Liverpool in 1914, then Liverpool and Martins bank 1918 before changing yet again to Martins Bank in 1928 and finally to Barclays in 1969.
|1872||• Robert Donkin living at what is now the Rectory.
• Coquet House built (later the first cottage hospital).
• Rothbury engine shed built following a fire to the original shed. room for 2 engines and a lean to office.
|1873||• William Bewick, buys old house for £550, pulls it down, and builds Warwick Villa, (later Church House).
• Addycombe Cottages built (Shaw) to house retired estate workers.
|1874||• Sir W. G. Armstrong now mainly living in Rothbury.
• Turk's Head built.
|1875||• Photo of sheep auction at Mart taken by John Worsnop.|
|1876||• Thomas Muckle leaves the Duke's service after a stonemason apprenticeship.
• Land purchased from the Duke to build a double fronted house and coach house called Haw Hill House.
• The first show of the Coquetdale Agricultural Society took place at Rothbury, (Sykes)
|1877||• Prop. of Queen's Head, Mrs.Temple, rebuilds old property next door, builder John Wake. Plumber is W. G. Mackay.|
|1878||• Permanent sheep pens installed at Auction Mart.
• Cragside is the first home in the world lit by hydro electricity.
|1879||• County Hotel built.|
|1880||• Closure of churchyard.
• County Hotel sold by public auction at the Turk's Head by Samuel Donkin and Sons, to Robert Muckle for £5700.
• William Bewick purchases the derelict Three Half Moons Hotel (approx 300 years old) and clears the ground for stables, a conservatory and garden for Warwick Villa, which bears date 1880.
• Rocks at the Thrum are blasted away after Jamie Mackay lost his life trying to jump the Thrum.
|1881||• W. G. Mackay plumber and ironmonger is founded.|
|1883||• Girl's school opens at the Knowes.
• Tynemouth Artillery comes by train to Rothbury.
|1884||• Visit, by train, of Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) and Princess Alexandra and their children to Cragside 19 to 22 August. Fireworks display by Pain's of London. The town of Rothbury later presented a book of paintings of the visit by J. T. Dixon and H. H. Emmerson. One has Ashton of Tosson Mill holding Simonside plaid. Another has the grandfather of Angus Armstrong sitting with the Prince of Wales outside Cragside.
• In Church reredos added, tiles in chancel, altar rail, the Ascension in stained glass.
|1885||• A new section of the workhouse is opened for vagrants, with 12 sleeping cells, each with a stone-breaking cell attached and a bath and disinfectant room.|
|1886||• Two vestries built on site of Cartington Chantry.
• East end stained glass installed in Parish Church in memory of Rector. Stephenson, Prospect and South Tce in directory.
|1887||• Old Chantry at Trewitt porch 'restored' and becomes a vestry. Choir Vestry arches filled in by Mr. J. Wake, builder of Rothbury - Ascension Day 1887.
• Jubilee year plan to erect lecture hall and recreation room on a site given by the Duke.
|1888||• The lecture hall and recreation room are declared open by Lady Armstrong Rothbury experiences "The Great Snowstorm".|
|1889||• Reading room opened in small and difficult room at the East end of Black Bull (Newcastle House).
• Robert Donkin, auctioneer, lives at Haw Hill House.
• Start of County Council. NCC responsible for all bridges - Rothbury and Pauperhaugh had been owned by the Duke of Northumberland.
• Shah of Persia visits Cragside.
|1890||• Tynemouth Artillery camp here.
• Model Buildings built.
|1891||• Rothbury Golf Club instituted in Dec with the first game being played on 13th April the following year at the course on Wolves Haugh.
• New public seats for visitors.
|1893||• 8 bells in tower presented by Mary Dawson in memory of her brother.
• Jas. Johnson becomes Head of Thomlinson School.
• Brass of previous rectors put up by D. D. Dixon.
• New Congregational Church built on land given by Lord Armstrong, on site of a 17th century almshouse.
• Lady Armstrong dies at Jesmond on 2nd September. Interred in Rothbury Lower Graveyard.
|1894||• First elections to Parish Council and Rothbury RDC.
• ROTHBURY CHURCH MONTHLY changes its name to ROTHBURY PARISH MAGAZINE.
• Brass lectern given by Mrs. Ainger as a memorial.
• Mr. Goss of Stoke gives Church 250 porcelain mugs stamped "Rothbury Church Sunday School".
• Revival of Cricket Club at Haugh.
• The Local Government Act and start of Rothbury Rural District Council.
|1895||• D. D. Dixon publishes Whittingham Vale.
• Plan for a nurse.
• Visit of Afghan Crown Prince to Cragside.
• Restoration of Church roof with Baltic timber. Second chalice bought, of 1625, for £9. Church walls re-coloured, water supply improved, new Church banner from Mrs. Young.
• Northern Saints windows in Chancel as a memorial to Rector A. O. Medd.
|1896||• Young buys Warwick Villa and renames Church Ho.
• Death of William Bewick, Rector.
• The Chinese Prime Minister, Li Hung Chang visits Cragside.
• Sharp's Endowed Secondary School starts in the Congregational Sunday School.
• Restoration of Lady Bridge at Rothbury/Tosson.
• Mr. Muckle does work on Church toilets, heating and 3 apex crosses.
• Night school at Thomlinson's.
• Almshouses are built in memory of Lord Armstrong's mother.
• Congregational Church opened for worship.
• Slides lent by photographer J. P. Gibson (Hexham) for talk by DDD.
• Church doors and railings repainted.
|1897||• John Worsnop (aged 40) does photos for Lord Armstrong's book on electrical experiments.
• Betty Ferguson died 6th March aged 99 having lived through the reigns of four English Sovereigns: George 3rd, George 4th, William 4th & Queen Victoria
• Church graveyard closed.
• Lease was agreed between the Duke and Rothbury P. C. for village greens and fair tolls.
• King of Siam visits Cragside.
• Advert for John Gregory, slater and plasterer, in Church magazine.
• Kneeling carpet at Parish Church with crowns and palms design.
• First Church Council elected.
• New Church clock set in motion - installed by Potts.
• Jubilee Hall extended with a new ladies room.
• Sharp's new School opened.
• Railway accident at Rothbury and Church used as a relief centre. 95 minutes late from a Newcastle panto trip with 250 were on board from Scots Gap. At Rothbury, leading coach leaves rails at crossover points and falls on side. Completely wrecked after it hit the signal box. 2nd, 3rd & 4th coaches also derailed. 3 killed and 21 injured. Speed 47 instead of 30 mph and the ball crossing points not secured.
|1898||• A new photo of the Church, by John Worsnop, on front of Parish magazine.
• 1st meeting of new District Council.
• 1300 red coated volunteers of Tyne Brigade camp at Newtown. 5th Battn.
• Northumberland Fusiliers marches through to Hexham - camp in the grounds of Knocklaw.
|1899||• There is a subscription to re-letter & guild the Thomlinson memorial in the Church.
• Clergy complain of juvenile misbehaviou in church.
• Rothbury Urban District Council created.
• East window installed in memory of Rector Ainger.
• The Riddell silver wedding photos taken by J. Worsnop.
• Disbandment of Northumberland (Percy) Artillery Volunteers - founded 1859.
• Plans for Beech Cottage, Haw Hill.
|1900||• 2 windows installed in the W. wall of Church tower.
• 27th December: Death of the first Lord Armstrong (buried 31st December in Rothbury Cemetery)
• Officers and men of Northumberland Hussars (C. O. Col Cookson) camp at the Haugh.
• Nest egg of £17.11s.10d put in N.E. Bank for future Thropton Church.
• Plans to rebuild 6 cottages Pondicherry.
|1901||• Chancel screen is installed at the Parish Church in memory of Lord Armstrong, choir stalls in memory of the Rector and a new pulpit in memory of Lady Armstrong. Silverton Terrace built.
• New reservoir built at Ewesley.
• Plan to put a sundial back on the porch gable.
• Death of Queen Victoria.
|1902||• New workhouse built at Silverton Lane, stone from Cragside quarries.
• 'Donkin's Lamp' erected on green opposite Church House for the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra
• Rector's widow gives Church House to Diocese.
• Armstrong Cross unveiled on 2nd August by Sir Lowthian Bell (Ironmaster and patron of the arts).
|1903||• David Dippie Dixon's Upper Coquetdale published by Robert Redpath of Newcastle Daily Journal.|
|1904||• Coquet House guest house bought by Catherine Dawson to be a hospital.
• Post Office and Postmaster's house built.
• John Lee and Son, starts as a plumber and bike shop.
|1906||• Rothbury School (now Rothbury First School) foundation stone laid.|
|1907||• Rothbury School opens. Old girls school used for Sharp's School - secondary education and training of pupil teachers.|
|1908||• Lord Watson Armstrong sells some Cragside treasures for death duties.
• Rothbury Golf Club course moved to Whitton.
• Parish rooms built as Mission House.
|1909||• Jubilee Hall extended.
• Rothbury agrees the new maximum speed limit for cars of 10 mph.
• Bridge widened with concrete parapet at a cost of £462.
|1912||• Dixon Brothers' business closes.
• John Lee gets first char-a-banc.
|1913||• Silverton House and East End House are built by Thomas Muckle.
• Wooden screen is added to Baptistry and wooden font top.
• John Lee's garage built.
• Whitton Bank Cottages are built for Mark Rutherford.
• Church House becomes boarding house (Misses Maxwell).
|1914||• Death of Robert Donkin (80), auctioneer. The auction mart is re-modelled.
• Plans for a new road from Brinkburn New Houses to Weldon Bridge.
• Death of Robert Ashton (74), woollen manufacturer, Tosson Mill.
• Territorials muster at the Jubilee Hall.
• School closed for Army use. Older pupils to the Workhouse and younger to Parish Hall.
|1915||• Rothbury engine shed and 2 steam engines are damaged in a fire.
• The County Council pays for improvements to the Otterburn road as a wartime route to Scotland.
|1918||• Donkin's lamp is moved across the green to opposite the URC Church.
• Pipe band starts on Hillside Road, after the Seaforth Highlanders were based at Rothbury in WWI.
|1919||• C. F. Wright (ex chief mechanic at John Lee's garage) buys Church House and installs petrol pumps. He runs taxis and buses from the rear. Fire station is located there and the Tweedside Co-op until the new building is ready.|
|1920||• Recreation ground pavilion built by WW1 ex servicemen.
• Russian Sailors shoot local PC whilst attempting to rob Rothbury Brewery. PC Sinton was awarded the Kings medal for bravery whilst the men were charge with attempted murder and sentenced to 13 years penal servitude.
|1921||• Whitton Grange is built by George Muckle, architect Robert Mauchlen of Newcastle, for Sir Angus Watson, a pilchard magnate.
• The war memorial should have been unveiled in January by General Wilkinson, Commander of the Northumberland Division in France but Lord Armstrong stood in when the Generals car broke down. Contractor James Muckle.
• John Lee runs buses to Newcastle on Tuesdays and Fridays.
|1922||• Children's corner created at Church.
• L. C. Wright, son of C. F. Wright (see 1910), runs a coach to Newcastle.
• The top floor of Church House is removed.
• Foundation of Rothbury Recreation Club.
|1923||• James Johnson retires as Head of Thomlinson School.|
|1924||• Club House handed over to the Recreation Club.|
|1925||• Closure of Sharp's School to enable the enlargement of Thomlinson School.|
|1926||• John Turnbull Dixon, brother of David Dippie Dixon, dies aged 81 at Whittingham and is buried at Rothbury. A wooden memorial to him is placed on top of the vestry screen, over the door.|
|1927||• There is a flood in Main Street from Copletch Burn, waist deep water at Queens Head, 1 foot of sand at Townfoot.|
|1928||• John Lee & Son and Wright's Motors buses are taken over by United Automobile Services Ltd., on Christmas Eve.
• Bank of Liverpool and Martins changed to Martins
|1929||• Inner porch door for the Parish Church in memory of Rector Sharp.
• F. Wright runs boarding house at Church House.
• The Uncle of the Empress of Japan visits Cragside.
• Plans are lodged for a new garage for J. Lee and Sons at Walby Hill.
• David Dippie Dixon dies at Cragside Farm at the age of 87 after a fall. He is buried in the new cemetery, next to his brother.
|1930||• Memorial chair to David Dippie Dixon in Church.
• All age schools go and a senior school opens at Rothbury for 11 to 14s.
• Electricity put in the Church by J. F. Bertram electrician.
|1931||• United route has no. 16 bus Newcastle to Hepple, Alwinton and Netherton.
• 24 bungalows planned at Mount Healey.
|1933||• Houses are built along Hillside Road, Riverside and Garleigh Road.
• Thomas Muckle builds Villas at Hillside.
• Death of James Johnson (74), Schoolmaster, and bandmaster.
|1934||• Whitton Tower Rectory sold to Cllr. Angus Watson of Newcastle.
• Houses built at Back Riggs and Hurley Knowes.
• Death of Robert Donkin (72).
• Bungalows are built at Pondicherry.
|1935||• Whitton Tower leased to Newcastle Council as children's convalescent home.
• Houses are built on Garleigh Road - semis are built at Riverside - bungalows are built on Hillside, at Backcroft and near the railway station.
• Rothbury Urban District Countil is taken over by Rothbury Rural District Council.
|1936||• The film Moonlight Sonata shot at Rothbury, with concert pianist Paderewski (later to become President of Poland). Tommy Wilson, butcher, attends wrap up party in Jubilee Hall.
• John Lee bus service to Newcastle and Alwinton.
|1938||• Death of W. G. Mackay (77).
• Death of John Worsnop aged 81. Worsnop photographer closes.
|1939||• Fire destroys most of the Jubilee Hall after Saturday night film starring Humphrey Bogart.
• The lake at the left of Lee's garage is filled in.
• Evacuation of 219 children from West Jesmond/Kenton in Newcastle to Rothbury.
• A Council Estate is built at Woodlands.
• Northumberland Fusiliers are billeted at the Recreation ground pavilion.
|1940||• Cragside is taken over by the Army. 9th Battalion of Northumberland Fusiliers are billeted there after Dunkirk.|
|1941||• The role of Rothbury Workhouse at Silverton is changed.
• Death in October of the second Lord Armstrong, aged 78.
• A wooden memorial screen is put in All Saints South chapel.
|1942||• Beaufighter from 141Sqn flew into high ground at Cragside. Kenny Davidson reports incident as a plane crashing on first fairway opposite the isolation hospital.|
|1944||• The Jubilee Hall is re-built at the request of the Army as a centre for troops but without a reading room.|
|1946||• Maternity Unit starts at Rothbury Cottage Hospital.
• Plans for changes at the Station Hotel.
|1947||• All Saints Pulpit changes sides.
• Death of Dr. Frederick Barrow (95) at Ogle House.
• Serious flooding.
• War Memorial Chapel opened.
|1948||• Greenacres house built.
• Start of NHS - takes over the Cottage Hospital.
|1949||• Start of 3 years building of 36 Airey Houses at Jubilee Estate.|
|1950||• British Legion withdraws claim to Recreation Hut. (Letter to Gazette 29th July 1950)
• Rothbury Bowling Club hosts Northumberland County Bowling association.
|1951||• Start of building houses on Gravelly Bank.
• Golf course moved to the racecourse.
• Parish Council orders chain from Hughes Balckow Shipbreaking Co. to go around the war memorial and village green with concrete posts.
• Bus station planned for United Automobile Services. The ticket office later becomes the vets.
• North wall of the churchyard repaired by Parish Council.
|1952||• Last timetabled passenger train, Station Master Bill Askew.|
|1953||• The new bus station is completed.
• Visit of Prince Akihito of Japan to Cragside for a one week holiday while in the UK for the Coronation.
• British Railways film 'Any Man's Kingdom' narrated by Stephen Murray (Navy Lark) includes Rothbury and no. 16 United bus. Jack Phillips is seen boarding.
• L. C. Wright buys out Lee's garage.
|1954||• Muckle's builder's yard is opened.
• Tweedside Co-op opens a new shop at the present location.
• Rothbury RDC buys Church House as offices.
|1956||• Much of Coquetdale above Rothbury is designated as National Park.
• Withdrawal of L. C. Wright's bus service from Rothbury to Hexham via Rothley.
• Hawthorn Cottage bought as an extension to the hospital.
• Muckle's long distance live stock haulage transports elephant (Susie) from Spain to England. Driver Brian Tait.
|1959||• Start of bungalows at Addycombe.|
|1960||• Serious floods in the valley in August.
• Large trees on the village green planted by the Rector in 1858 are cut back.
• The Parish Council decides to add posts & chains from the bridge to car park.
|1961||• Christmas Eve fire at County Hotel.|
|1963||• National Park Voluntary Wardens found the Search & Rescue Team (now called the Mountain Rescue Team) following the death of two shepherds in the hills.
• Railway closed to freight.
• Start of houses being built on Fairground site.
• Serious floods in March.
|1964||• Railway line lifted.
• Rothbury Secondary Modern School completed.
|1965||• Last Rothbury race meeting.
• In May, the County Hotel is bought by William Leech the Tyneside builder.
|1967||• Start of building of 24 bungalows at Addycombe Gardens.|
|1969||• Martins Bank becomes Barclays|
|1970||• Four large sycamores planted by the rector on the village green in 1858 are cut down - to be replaced.|
|1972||• Death of third Lord Armstrong. Cragside is offered to the Treasury in lieu of death duties.
• Addycombe housing development and landscaping.
• Rothbury Congregational Church becomes URC.
• Inscriptions on graveyard headstones are recorded.
|1974||• Rothbury R. D. C. becomes part of Alnwick District Council, which takes over Church House, Court Building and Library.|
|1975||• The hospital is taken over by the Area Health Authority. Maternity and consultant clinics are stopped, leaving only geriatric and convalescent.
• Railings replace concrete on the bridge - started 1973.
|1976||• Cragside View is completed.|
|1977||• Memorial Chapel pews are taken out and it is carpeted, and an aubrey and oak table put in.
• Cragside, 911 acres and 2 farms given to Treasury as death duties and transferred to National Trust.
|1978||• Renovation of Armstrong Cottages by Spence & Prince, Newcastle.|
|1979||• Cragside is opened to the public for the first time.|
|1982||• Serious flooding in January.|
|1984||• Bowling Club disbanded and funds donated to Recreation Club.|
|1986||• Northumbria Motor Services Ltd. takes over the local bus routes from United.|
|1987||• Fourth Lord Armstrong dies and the title is lost.|
|1988||• Ronnie Ramsay resurrects Bowling Club.|
|1990||• Serious flooding in April.|
|1992||• Local shop suffers ram raid|
|1993||• Rothbury Post Office robbed: Five men cut telephone lines and threatened some of the 2,000 residents with crowbars during the raid early on Monday. Dressed in camouflage clothing and ski masks, the gang blocked a main street with a stolen council van and told people looking out of their windows to go back to bed. They forced their way into the Post Office and fled in the van with the safe containing £15,000 in cash, stamps and pension books.|
|1996||• National Trust considered to be "...at best benevolently paternal and at worst downright patronising". A Lesley Webb quote from the Independent 7th Oct 1996 regarding openness.|
|1998||• Parish Councillor suggests Rothbury have its own mayor and offers to buy the chain of office. 20 visitors to Parish Council turned up to protest. Proposal dropped.
• Donkin's Lamp refurbished..
|1999||• "Free the geese" campaign headed by Leslie Webb.
• B&B business complains about the chiming of Church clock.
|2001||• New Recreation Club completed by David Gregory: Project managed by Ian Anderson. Bowling Club donate their old club site. A great success.|
|2002||• Parish Council complains of condensation in notice board.
• Village Design Statement published.
• Villagers complain about rooks.
|2004||• Referendum held in which the majority voted against the proposed unitary authority.|
|2005||• Skimming device, used to copy details of bank cards, found to have been placed on a cash point at Barclays Bank at Town Foot.|
|2006||• Prince Charles and Camilla opened the newly refurbished Jubilee Hall.
• New Hospital built: Old Cottage hospital converted to flats.
• New Golf Club completed.
• Harry Lime (Henry George Richardson) dies. Harry's museum relocated to the Chain Bridge Honey Farm
|2007||• Whitton View: 99 houses built.|
|2008||• Sept: Worst Floods in living memory. Two cars swept away and much damage to houses|
|2009||• 7th Feb: Gas supplies cut off due to a major fault. 24-hour rest centre was set up for elderly and vulnerable people and hundreds of blankets, electric heaters and hot plates ferried in to the village centre for residents. 600 heaters and 600 hot plates distributed.
• First new Christmas lights for more than 20 years. Declared a great success.
• New unitary authority formed in spite of referendum..
• Bowling Club double champions: North Northumberland League & Clegg League Div 3
• A good year for the Church Clock: A major topic of discussion in the PC.
|2010||• 5th Jul: Great Rothbury manhunt for Raoul Moat begins. It ends in the early hours of 10th July when he takes his own life.
• Jul: £3m project to strengthen Rothbury Bridge begins - work starts to erect Bailey bridge as temporary replacement.
• 25th Nov: Lord Armstrong's bi-centenary. Fantastic display at Cragside.
• Nov: Snow arrives early. Worst since 1963. Rothbury flower borders hidden and Cross illumination a non event.
• Villagers complain about rooks.
• Rothbury PC decide not to pursue a "Quality" award.
|2011||• Notice boards erected to commemorate Lord Armstrong's bi-centenary.
• Election held to elect two councillors at a cost of £3,000. Now two genuine elected representatives out of nine - all others co-opted.
• More snow. Locked in for two weeks.
|2012||• Church Clock returned to All Saints Church for maintenance responsibility, with the Parish Council still responsible for the cost of repairs and a new firm guaranteeing its reliability.
• Queens Jubilee celebrated by tree planting at the riverside. At least that was the theory.
• Whitton View estate expands as more houses are built with another 55 requested.
|2013||• Landslip on B6344 at Cragend. Road closed. Road to Thropton not looking too good either but started and repaired.
• Rook nests removed.
• Film "The Boy and the bus" shot in Rothbury and now collecting awards.
• Rothbury Cross illuminated as part of Christmas lights.
• Bridge finished complete with new stone parapets. NCC get award.
• 10 candidates for 9 places on the PC. First full election in living memory.
• Thrum Mill restored with wheel once more turning. Featured on TV
|2014||• Rothbury Coordinator passes the baton of the site to a younger generation. With thanks to all our readers. Its all been fun!!!!!
• Queens Jubilee trees almost completed.
• Rothbury Parish Council vacancy. Two candidates, so election held.
• Northumberland Estates submits another planning application for 50 or so houses.
|2015||• Sep: Parish Council meeting brought to an end following a heated altercation.
• Oct: Plan revealed for modernisation of parking in town centre.
• Oct: Wooden bus shelter built outside Queen's Head - first bus shelter in Rothbury since the bus garage closed.
• 2rd Nov: Rothbury butchers receive national award for their pork sausages.
• 4th Dec: First annual Rothbury Christmas Festival starts. Went ahead despite the skating rink being washed away by flood waters and Storm Desmond's wild winter weather.